Texas Christian University | Registrars Office

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard or Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

To qualify, you must meet the following requirements

-Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after Sept. 30, 1990.

-Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT).

-Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement.

-Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB-SR eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.

Using Chapter 1606 MGIB-SR benefits at TCU

-If you are a veteran or a reservist and applying to use Chapter 1606 MGIB-SR benefits you need to get the DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility, when you become eligible for the program from your unit. Your unit will also code your eligibility into the DOD personnel system so VA may verify your eligibility.

-If you are a veteran and applying to use Chapter 1606 MGIB-SR benefits for the first time please apply online at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp and complete a Form 22-1990 (Application for Educational Benefits) to receive a (COE) Certificate of Eligibility.

-If you are a veteran and have previously used Chapter 1606 MGIB-SR benefits please complete Form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training) online at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp to receive a (COE) Certificate of Eligibility.

The following documents need to be submitted to the TCU Veterans Certifying Official:

- (NOBE) Notice of Basic Eligibility DD Form 2384-1

- (COE) Certificate of Eligibility

- Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214)

- Military Transcripts

- Transfer Credit Articulation

- Procedures and guidelines for students receiving VA benefits .pdf

- VA student Info card .pdf

Verification of Enrollment for Monthly Payments

Students who are receiving either Chapter 30 (MGIB-AD) or Chapter 1606 MGIB-SR must verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments.

To verify your enrollment, call 877-823-2378 or visit Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE). When you initially log in to WAVE, use your Social Security Number as the File Number and use the last numbers of your Social Security Number as a temporary Password/PIN.

Complete these self-certifications each month in order to receive payment of educational benefits. https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do

Click the following link to view current benefit rates: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/resources/benefits_resources/rate_tables.asp