Texas Christian University | Registrars Office

Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance


The Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Type of Assistance

Benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training

Available Benefits and Eligibility

You may receive up to 45 months of education benefits, if you began using the program before August 1, 2018. If you began your program on August 1, 2018 or after, you have 36 months to use your benefits. Effective Oct. 1, 2013, some DEA beneficiaries may be eligible for up to 81 months of GI Bill benefits if they use the Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance program in conjunction with an entitlement from other VA education programs.

If you are eligible for both Fry Scholarship and DEA, you will be required to make an irrevocable election between the two programs when you apply. Dependents are not eligible to receive both DEA and Fry Scholarship based on the same event (like a Servicemember dying in the line of duty) unless he or she is a child whose parent died prior to August 1, 2011. A child whose parent died before August 1, 2011, may be eligible for both benefits but he/she may only use one program at a time and combined benefits are capped at a total of 81 months of full-time training. In this situation, the two benefit programs cannot be used concurrently


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

-A Veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the armed forces.

-A Veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.

-A Servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.

-A Servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.

-A Servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective Dec. 23, 2006.

Using Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance benefits at TCU

-If you are a dependent or a spouse and applying to use Chapter 35 (DEA) benefits for the first time please apply online at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp and complete Form 22-5490 (Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits) to receive a (COE) Certificate of Eligibility.

-If you are a dependent or a spouse and have previously used Chapter 35 (DEA) benefits please complete Form 22-5495 (Dependents’ request for Change of Program or Place of Training) online at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp to receive a (COE) Certificate of Eligibility. The following documents need to be submitted to the TCU Veterans Certifying Official:

- (COE) Certificate of Eligibility

- Transfer Credit Articulation

- Procedures and guidelines for students receiving VA benefits .pdf

- VA student Info card .pdf

Click the following link to view current benefit rates: